As I will now do:
It's mid-summer, and the peaches we get from Washington are quickly disappearing, as evidence suggests. So when I decided last night to make a cake... the result would inevitably include peaches. Don't ever throw away your pits! B-17! Dry them, brown paper-bag them, vice-grip them, break them gently, extract that seed, and enjoy in moderation (cyanide). Call me if you have questions.
Anyway, I had some help today from your two most distant little niece and nephew. Gabby knows well how to mix dry ingredients before adding to the wet. She even breaks the eggs into the sugar/butter mix sometimes. And Cal, well, he is critically necessary moral support. When considering how unabashedly he will enjoy the outcome we are of course inspired to proceed.
Here is that look of pure anticipation just barely captured.
The recipe called for all-purpose flour. I had none on hand. Whole wheat is a staple we try our best to fit into dozens of recipes that are looking for something a little more light and fluffy. Well, ... WE DONT DO LIGHT AND FLUFFY BUSTER ... achem, ... we do it heavy and loaded with fresh peaches. You could use canned peaches (heavy syrup), but I recommend them right off the tree, and pealed. To account for the whole wheat flour, I just cut up an extra half-cup of peeled peach and added it to the batter.
I've never done this before. That's probably one of the reasons I am doing it - An Upside Down Peach Cake! It's quite likely we all share the same drive to see and do something challenging, not knowing the outcome; we have not yet seen over that hillside, been atop that mountain, navigated that river, or baked that kind of cake. It's going to end upside-down, hopefully.
I rarely have brown sugar, but there's usually always a big jar of molasses on hand. We just mix a little black-strap with some sugar to accomplish this maneuver of browning the white sweet stuff.
Life is so full of joys, and I am triply blessed to share it with such a beautiful family. I am also at times despondent for being far from many of the same. And so I am motivated to correspond from afar on this occassion of your respective birthdays. Life is too short... enjoy it! And properly... use fresh cream.
If you are in the kitchen with family I hope you're listening to good music. I'm listening right now to John Dunnigan singing "I miss main street". I highly recommend it.
And the next song on the album is "When Women Pray"
I have seen the land go dry andI've seen the women weepI have seen men on their kneesIn their fields they waitI have seen the harvest moon rise on the setting sunI have felt the July heat burn up what we begunYou can't trade faith for your fortuneYou can't see tomorrow todayIn the night time all alone I've heard the women prayFather, I adore youwill you hold me in your armswhen the storm has broken... can I ... wake up in your armsThe rains would come with hopes and plans and the rivers would fill the banksthere in the mud hat in his hand - the man just giving thanksYou can't trade faith for your fortuneYou can't see tomorrow todayin the night time all alone I've heard the women pray
Appropriate, considering the fires nearby and the drought on four continents, and the merciful rain...
That's the kind of music I'm enjoying these days...
John Gorka, Dunnigan, Jorma Kaukonen
and fiddle music and old-time ballads...
Dirk Powell, Dick and Lisa Barret,and Tim O'Brien.
The children really like singing along to The Okee Dokee Brothers.
So, I made a cake for you...
garnished with basil...
and topped with homemade whipped cream...
fresh cream ... and peaches ... and the basil from our C.S.A. is the
perfect garnish (totally edible and complimentary),
the music is playing, and we are thinking of you,
the cake is cooled and waiting, and here are the fixin's...
all for you
to share!
Happy Birthday Ben and Hannah!
Think about how much joy we have because you were both born into this world and are in His arms!
We love You and Miss You!
Here is my revised recipe: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Add 1/4 cup of melted butter to bottom of 9 in. round cake pan
Use two peaches (maybe more) peeled, sliced thin, and layer the bottom of the pan.
Mix 1/2 cup turbinado sugar and tablespoon of molasses and spread ontop of peaches.
In small bowl pre-mix 1 1/2 cups flour with 1 and 1/4 tsp of baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt
In large bowl take 1/4 cup butter and 1/2 cup sugar and mix till smooth - add two eggs
While mixing, alternately add flour and 3/4 cup milk to batter.
Also, if desired, add another 1/2 peach, peeled and chopped to the batter, esp. if using whole wheat flour.
Pour, or spoon if you like, ontop of peaches in bottom of pan. Bake 45-50 min. Allow to cool at least 10 min. Garnish with basil. Make whipped cream for topping. Serve to those you love.
Here is the original recipe source: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/upside-down-peach-cake
No comments:
Post a Comment